Castle in L'Aquila
L'AQUILA - In 1254 the inhabitants
of the popular 99 castles were reunited
by Conrad IV thanks to an executive diploma
issued by Frederic II from Swabia: it stated
the construction of the city, which was
probably named after the village Acculi.
The Spanish Castle at the
centre of the large Parco del Castello on
the highest spot of the city of L'Aquila,
against the majestic background of the Gran
Sasso d'Italia rises the Spanish
Fortress commonly called "Castello"
by the Aquilans.
The fortress follows a square plan, with
sides 130 m long and protruding bastions
at the four corners; the walls are 10 m
thick at the bottom, 5 m thick at the top.
The entrance is through a stone bridge,
which leads into the locals and the peaceful
inner courtyard. In 1534 prince Filibert
of Orange ordered to build a massive fortress
on the highest point of the city, to control
the revolutionary inhabitants of L'Aquila
("ad reprimendam aquilanorum audaciam").
tour in the Spanish Fortress