Throughout the centuries this beautiful
castle, once a fortress, has
become a residential complex, made up
of four bodies closed by corner towers
forming an open courtyard with a portico
on both sides.
The tower facing north-east is probably
the original body: the remaining towers
developed from it in time.
The towers facing south date back to XV
century, whereas the tower facing north-east
dates back to XII century. In June 1943
the fortress was seriously damaged by
After that the castle was restored and
today it is the seat of the Byzantine
and Highmedieval Abruzzo Museum.
Crecchio, 400 mt.