Saint Clemente Abbey in Casauria
The Abbey was built in 871 as an ex-voto
by Emperor Ludovico II, who was a prisoner
of the Longobard Prince Adelchi in Benevento
but he was afterwards released by intercession
of Bishop Aione. At first devoted to the
Holy Trinity, it changed its name when it
got St Clemente's bones, whose mortal remains
had been carried to Rome in 868.
The Abbey got its maximum splendour thanks
to Leonate, who was ordained Abbot in 1156;
he started changing it but his death in
1182 interrupted his work. Throughout the
following centuries the Abbey started to
Plundered by the French troops in 1799,
the Abbey was given to the town of Castiglione
a Casauria in 1868.
Casauria, 300 mt.
tour in St Clemente Abbey